image/svg+xml

Autor Tópico: [Review] 10937 - BATMAN: Arkham Asylum Breakout (EN)  (Lida 31797 vezes)

Alex

• Núcleo de Gestão
    • My Flickr Page
[Review] 10937 - BATMAN: Arkham Asylum Breakout (EN)
« em: 03 de Dezembro de 2012, 02:19:50 »
Review of the 10937 -  Arkham Asylum Breakout

Set Number: 10937
Name: Arkham Asylum Breakout
Theme: Super Heroes (DC United - BATMAN)
Year: 2013
Number of Pieces: 1619
LEGO ® Price: € 159.99
Price per piece: 9.88 cents per piece
Instructions: Yes, 3 books (+ -) A4
Stickers: Yes
Minifigs: Yes, 8
Alternative models: No
Parts List: Yes, at the end of the instructions

Parts
10/10

This set features a great assortment of parts, all easy to use.
New parts, such as, Round Plate 4 x 4 with 2 x 2 Hole (11833), and the wings used on the gate statues.

The modified bricks used in the main building give a really cool effect on the building facade.
Some parts have new colors, such as the dark green chairs and the skeleton arms in dark bluish (93061).
There are several minifigs accessories, most of them used in the building itself as decoration, such as the axe blades in the Gargoyles, the minifig weapon sai, and handcuffs in the main window.
Features a  ppp of 9.88 cents per piece, which is not very much taking into account the theme, and the set type.
It also brings an orange brick separator.

The minifigs are great! 8, 5 of them villains.

(some of the set minifigs)

All of them have impressions on the back, and most of them are double-side face. For those who like to collect minifigs, this is the set to buy. The dual sided face of Harley Quinn is really great: the villain's face has a white coloration over the flesh, giving a very good looking effect.

This proves that it’s possible to make a great set, even with relatively common parts.

By the way, more than 60 extra parts… awesome!!

The construction
9/10

We can see clearly that this was designed by an Afol.
The construction is divided into three books, with 13 bags, numbered from 1 to 9, except the bag with bigger plates.

The building is partially modular. First we build the central part, with the hall on the ground floor, and a medical office on the 1st floor. The right of the building contains the cells (on the ground floor) and two "special" cells on the first floor. The left part of the building features the "backstage" of Harley Quinn and a small office on the first floor.

The first book of instructions is used to build the truck, the gate and the ground floor of the building entrance.
The van carrying the Joker has a very cool design. It’s different from the last ambulances produced by the brand, more resembled to the" American” style. There’s a lot of snot used, giving it a very clean and neat look.

I claim your attention to the stretcher made to arrest the Joker. The minifig is trapped by his feet on the1 x 2 plate, but also with the mechanism made with bars and robot arms, used to hold him firmly enough (even I had some trouble to open it).

The gate is one of my favorite parts. The statues are simply divine. The wings are new parts that create a fantastic and sinister look. I also emphasize how the lamp was made.

The entrance of the building features a reception, and a phone (nice design by the way)

The first floor has a small medical office. I highlight ther open drawe, made in a fairly and simple way ( but very intuitive) and  the medical chair, easily recognizable.

(Note:this photo was taken when the whole set was already built)

The main highlight goes to the windows, made with the use of 1 x 2 smoke panels, in snot, giving a very funny effect.

In the second book, we build the rest of the central part, and the ground and first floor of the left side of the building.

The cells are normal, no special technique, I was expecting another way for the prisoners to escape (eg a hidden hole). The system used for the cell opening bars is great. Glide to the right, opening up at the same time, and they stop with the “help” of the studs in the 1 x 2 plate.

Upstairs, there is a “special” cell for Poison Ivy, using two curved panels that open and close. I emphasize the broken window with the "shattered glass". The technique used is the same as in the previous windows, but resorted to the use of cheeses to give the broken glass effect.

Finally, the 3rd book (for the rest of the building).
There are at least two lovely details: the stained glass, with the help of a new part, and how it is stuck  between two 1 x 6 x 2 arch (and these two get binded with a modified 1 x 1 plate, with ring), and the gargoyles.

These left me completely open mouthed: without no complicated technique, the final result is simply spectacular.

Design
9/10

I find it exceptionally well designed, much more realistic than its predecessor.
I think it was inspired by the Comics, not the movie.I am not sure of this, since I don’t know all the batman universe.
I find a very cool detail the fact that includes specific cells (poison ivy and mr freeze), even though the last one is not included in the set.
Despite having quite snot, it’s a very solid. The color scheme is very good, without those strange contrasts that sometimes some sets have .
I draw attention to the fact that the whole set is practically built with small parts, in detriment of large parts, giving it a very detailed look.
The various mechanisms involved are all easy to use, some of them work more than well ( joker’s stretcher binds him really well), and the gargoyles and the stained glass only gave this set a even better look.
A very positive aspect is that this is one of the few superhero sets that has no flick missile or any other type of weapon.

The only flaw I detected, but this is no big deal, is that when the gates are closed, they do not touch. Maybe a use a handcuff for example, in black, to serve as a padlock?

Playability
9/10

Nothing to say here…this brings hours and hours of fun. Many villains, many ways to escape, a van to simulate several escapes...
It has a very solid construction, which does not discourage anyone who wants to play with him.
And all of this without missiles.
It could only be better if it had a Batman vehicle and the rest of the villains, but that would be asking for too much ...

Conclusion
9/10

It is a great set, and for me  it’s the best ever this for the theme. I cannot find anything that can or should be improved.
A set to buy without any doubt.

By the way, this set brings a special comic book, that tell us a story of how the villains rescue the prisioned Batman Rivals. It also makes reference to the other 2013 DC United Batman sets.

Some trivia:

As some already known, this set was designed by Marcos Bessa, a Portuguese Lego Designer and member of Comunidade 0937, a Portuguese Lug.
As a way of honoring this community, the set number is reference 10937, a reference to the lug name.
The number of the license plate of the vehicle is 28 MB 89. MB is the author's initials (Marcos Bessa), 89 is the year he was born, and 28, if I am not mistaken, is one of his favorite numbers, and the junction of his birth date, March 25 (3 +25).

Some Trivia for this review

This set was a gift and was sent to make his first appearance in a Portuguese event taking place in the December 1.
It was built by 3 lug members, the night before the event opening day. We finished it almost at 4 am. So, there may be some errors , but I really hope not :D

Please feel free to ask any question ;)
Sorry for my English.

You can see more pictures in my flickr account here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61941523@N08/sets/72157632158625108/
« Última modificação: 03 de Janeiro de 2013, 16:15:58 por Tito »
Citação de: Namath
Antes pequeno e brincalhão do que grande e trapalhão
Grande Namath ;D

dcanotilho

• O Carrasco de Dead Gulch
Re: [Review] -10937- BATMAN: Arkham Asylum Breakout
« Responder #1 em: 03 de Dezembro de 2012, 02:40:04 »
Awesome set ;D ;D ;D Mas isso já todos nós sabiamos.

Awsome review Alex :) gostei muito. Detalhada QB e aponta detalhadamente tudo para além do essencial :)
"When you gaze long into the ABS, the ABS also looks into you" Frederich Nietzsche

hugosantos

• LEGO Ambassador
  • O Polivalente
    • Flickr
« Responder #2 em: 03 de Dezembro de 2012, 09:36:53 »
Very nice review by the way! Ahaha can't wait to put my hands on it!

Only a detail, the 4079b Dark Green Minifig, Utensil Seat 2 x 2 with Center Sprue Mark isn't new it came out in some 2009 Star Wars sets that could be seen HERE.

As I saw in the pictures are there too many large parts like brick 1x2x5 instead of the normal small bricks 1x2x1?

About the set I will have to acquire another one hehehe
This is Comunidade 0937!!!

LBaixinho

• Fundador
    • Oficina dos Baixinhos
« Responder #3 em: 03 de Dezembro de 2012, 10:02:57 »
Five stars review and set. I hope buy one in the future :)

Alex

• Núcleo de Gestão
    • My Flickr Page
« Responder #4 em: 03 de Dezembro de 2012, 10:51:07 »
Only a detail, the 4079b Dark Green Minifig, Utensil Seat 2 x 2 with Center Sprue Mark isn't new it came out in some 2009 Star Wars sets that could be seen HERE.

Yep, you are right... at that time of the night, when we checked it at Bricklink, I think we saw dark red instead of Dark Green  :facepalm:

As I saw in the pictures are there too many large parts like brick 1x2x5 instead of the normal small bricks 1x2x1?

On the book I built I think there is none. In the whole set I think there are 10, maximum. And in my opinion it works better with the 1 x 2 x 5 instead of the small 1x2x1, since it gives a better impression of a solid pillar/column.
Citação de: Namath
Antes pequeno e brincalhão do que grande e trapalhão
Grande Namath ;D

hugosantos

• LEGO Ambassador
  • O Polivalente
    • Flickr
« Responder #5 em: 03 de Dezembro de 2012, 11:37:12 »
On the book I built I think there is none. In the whole set I think there are 10, maximum. And in my opinion it works better with the 1 x 2 x 5 instead of the small 1x2x1, since it gives a better impression of a solid pillar/column.

I agree its cleaner and better with bigger parts, but by the pictures I've saw it looked like that the majoity of the build was made with those parts.
This is Comunidade 0937!!!

Americo Verde

• Old School. Gang member.
« Responder #6 em: 07 de Dezembro de 2012, 21:59:39 »
Porquê que está toda a gente a falar em inglês ? :)
LOOOL

Muito bom minha gente! :)
"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave!"

lfaria

• Núcleo de Gestão
  • My avatar is back!
« Responder #7 em: 08 de Dezembro de 2012, 10:37:12 »
Porquê que está toda a gente a falar em inglês ? :)
LOOOL

Muito bom minha gente! :)

Because this is the "International" board?  ;)